Northeast Edmonton Neighbourhood Information
The neighbourhood of Abbottsfield in Edmonton is named in honour of Abraham Abbott. Mr. Abbott was a resident in the Town of Beverly where he served as a school custodian for the School District. A major coal mine was located in the Abbottsfield neighbourhood. This small coal mining town was annexed into the City of Edmonton in 1961.
Abbottsfield stretches from the North Saskatchewan River in the east all the way to 34th street in the west. The Yellowhead Trail Corridor is the northern border and 118th Avenue to the south. Victoria Drive separates the river valley area from the neighbourhood and Rundle Park is in the river valley below with the Rundle Heights area to the south.
Running along the south side of the neighbourhood is Abbottsfield Mall located on 118th Avenue. There are two Catholic Schools and one public school. Access to the Rundle Golf Course lays to the east.
The area was not developed until the 1970’s. During the first 10 years, over 75% of the current dwellings were completed. All of the available homes are multifamily buildings with 54% being row houses, then low rise apartments, less than five floors at 33%. The rest are duplex, triplex and quadruplex houses. Rentals comprise 70% of the residencies in the area. The owner occupied dwellings are all row houses.
The north east neighbourhood of Balwin was originally part of North Edmonton. Just below 7% of the housing was completed before the end of the Second World War. The majority, 77%, of the housing was finished between 1946 and 1970—the area was considered complete by 1981.
The most common residence is the single family home, comprising 62% of the area. Rental apartments in low rise buildings under five stories are at 23%. Next the duplexes comprise 9% and row houses 5% of the area. Over half, 57%, of homes are occupied by their owners. The population of the area is fairly mobile with 47% of the residents residing the same address for five or more years.
The area stretches from 132nd Avenue in the north to 127th Avenue in the south along the Yellowhead Corridore, and from 66th Street in the east to 82nd Street along the west. The Londonderry Mall is located by traveling north along 66th Street.
There are three public schools and one private school in Balwin. St. Francis of Assisi Elementary Junior High School is part of the Edmonton Catholic School District —Balwin Junior High, North Edmonton and Princeton Elementary are public schools. Located north along 66th Street is M.E. Lazerte High School. Queen Elizabeth High School is situated to the west accessed through 132nd Avenue.
Bannerman is part of the Clairview district of northeast Edmonton. It gained its name from H. Bannerman who settled the Belmont area in 1883. The Victoria Trail makes the western border while 114th Avenue marks the north. The southern border runs along 137th Avenue and the eastern neighbourhood looks out over the North Saskatchewan River Valley.
Development of Bannerman was complete by 1990. Most of the homes, over 77% were built in the 1970’s—the rest were finished in the 1980’s. Nearly 72% of the properties are owner occupied. The area consists of 46% of single family houses, 36% row houses and 17% are apartment rentals with fewer than five stories and a few duplexes.
Bannerman Elementary Junior High School is the only school in the area—it is a part of the Edmonton Public School System. Shopping is nearby on the Victoria Trail at the Clareview Shopping Centre. Not much farther to the west is Clareview Town Centre and along 137th Street to the west of Bannerman, you will find the Clareview LRT Station.
With 85% of the homes in the area occupied by the owner, the area is very stable. Before being annexed into Edmonton in 1961, the area was part of the town of Beverly. The neighbourhood dates back to 1910, which predates the town of Beverly.
One in ten of the homes were built before the end of World War II. The rest were built before 1961, when the area was annexed into Edmonton. Over 75% of the properties consist of single family homes —duplexes and low rise apartment buildings under five stories equally comprise the rest of the area.
Beacon Heights stretches from 118th Avenue in the south to 122nd Avenue in the north and from 34th Street in the east to 50th Street in the west. In 1955, as part of the Alberta Jubilee development, Jubilee Park was created at the location of the Beverly Coal Mine access.
The Edmonton Public School System has one school, Beacon Heights Elementary School, in the area. The Community League and the Community Hall are available to residents as well. Shopping centers include The Beverly Olde Town Centre and just east of 34th Street, the Abbottsfield Mall.
In north Edmonton is the residential area of Belle River In this very stable area, 93% of the homes are single family houses, 4% are duplexes and 3% are row houses. Almost all properties are inhabited by their owners.
Sharing a border with Eaux Claires along 89th and 90th streets in the west, the area reaches to 82nd Street in the east. The area begins in the north 167th Avenue ends at 153rd Avenue in the south.
There are two schools in the area—one Catholic School and the Kidz Make Cents, Inc private school are just east of 82nd Street. Namao Center accessed via 167th Ave to the west is the closest shopping mall. There is one little community park is in the area—however, Lorelei and Beaumaris Parks are just west of the area.
The small area of Bellevue, in north east Edmonton overlooks the North Saskatchewan River to the south and runs up to 118th Avenue (Alberta Avenue) in the north. Wayne Gretzky drive is the western border and 67th Street borders the east and goes through to Whyte Avenue and the University of Alberta, St. Jean campus in the south.
An amazing 96% of the residences in Bellevue are single family homes—homeowners living in their properties make up 76%. Apartments in low rise buildings less than five stories make up 3% and the remaining 1% is a single triplex. By the end of World War II, 22% of the homes in the area were completed—an additional 60% were finished between 1946 and 1960. The development is considered complete with the remaining 12% completed by 2001.
The Bellevue Elementary School and the Eastglen High School service the area—both schools are part of the Edmonton Public School District. Just to the northwest of the area, two hockey teams call Rexall Place home— The Edmonton Oilers and the Edmonton Oil Kings. The Coliseum LRT station is next to the arena. Along 112th Avenue to the west is Commonwealth Stadium, where the Eskimos CFL league plays.
Located within the Clareview district in north east Edmonton is the area of Belmont. Belmont runs from 137th Avenue on the north to Kennedale Ravine to the south and from The Victoria Trail on the east all the way to 40th Street on the west.
The first homes were built in 1912; however the first period of major growth was in the 1970’s. During the 1970’s, 63% of the houses were built. Growth slowed until the 1990’s when another 22% of the residencies were built—this area is now considered to be complete.
Single family homes comprise 44% of the area. Duplexes take up 28% and the row houses and low rise apartments less than five stories take up 15% each. Homes occupied by their owners make up 71% of the area.
The Belmont Elementary School is a part of the Edmonton Public School District. The other school, St. Elizabeth Seton Elementary Junior High School is a private discipline. The Clareview LRT Station is west of the area accessible through 137th Avenue and the closest mall is Clareview Village Shopping Centre.
Belvedere is a triangle shaped neighbourhood in the north east area of Edmonton. The Canadian National Railway right of way is on the eastern and south eastern sides. Close by is the Belvedere LRT Station. The area is bordered to the north by 137th Avenue and 66th Avenue on the west—the south east boundary is cut through by Fort Road.
Mixes of residential, industrial and commercial areas surround Belvedere—the residential area of York is to the north and Clareview Campus and Clareview Business Park are to the north east and the Kennedale Industrial area is to the east. The south is made up of Industrial Heights in the south east and the Yellowhead Corridor in the south west. West of the area are Delwood and Balwin, while the vicinity of Kildare is to the northwest.
Shopping is nearby at Londonderry Mall in the northwest in the Kildare area. There are also two Catholic Schools and two Edmonton Public Schools nearby.
Housing development began before the end of World War II. The majority, 90% of the building was finished between 1946 and 1960—apartments are 45% of the dwellings with 42% being single family homes. Duplexes make up 8% and row houses 6%, while about 50% of the homes are occupied by the owners.
The one time Mayor of the neighboring town of Beverly (incorporated in 1914), Gustav C. Berman, gives his name to this area. Bergman is to the north of the Beverly Town site. The area begins at the Yellowhead Trail and runs south to 122nd Avenue—the eastern edge is 34th Street and the western edge is 50th Street.
Most, 80% of the construction in Bergman dates from after the town of Beverly was annexed by Edmonton in 1961. Nearly all of the growth occurred in the 1980’s when one third of the homes were built. Most of the homes in Bergman are single family dwellings—there are a few duplexes—home owners occupy 95% of the homes in the area.
In the north of the community, adjoining the Yellowhead Trail is Bergman Park. The Abbottsfiled Shopping Mall is across 34th Street to the south east and Hermitage Square is accessible by traveling north onto 50th Street. Beacon Heights is the Elementary school in the area, which is a division of the Edmonton Public School System.
Beverly Heights became part of Edmonton in 1961 along with the town of Beverly—it was once part of the coal mining town. In the eastern part of Edmonton, Beverly Heights is bordered on the south by the North Saskatchewan River Valley—the northern border is 118th Avenue. In the west 50th Street makes the border and both 34th and 36th Streets frame the eastern edge.
The Beverly Heights Public School, the Lawton Junior High School and the R.J Scott Elementary school, belong to the Edmonton Public School System and are located in the Beverly Heights area. There is also one private school, The St. Nicholas Catholic Junior High School.
The Lawton Junior High, named after a teacher and principal, Percy Benjamin Lawton—it was the first Junior High school in Beverly. Mr. Lawton later became a Supervisor of the Beverly Schools and later a superintendent—he even served as Mayor of Beverly for a brief time.
The Beverly Cenotaph is located in Beverly Heights. It was the first one built in Edmonton to honor those from Beverly who died in World War I. The Olde Towne Centre and Abbottsfield Shopping Mall are the closest shopping centers to this community.
Brintnell had only 154 residencies in 2005. Located in the north east of Edmonton is the newer development the area. That number has increased to 1,832—the total population is now 5,048 with an average income of $69,459. Most of the homes, 91% are single family homes—the other properties are a mix of duplex, triplex and quadruplex buildings.
As a master planned community, Brintnell offers landscaped hiking trails, a nearby lake and tree lined green spaces. The area reaches from 167th Avenue in the north to 153rd Avenue in the south—the eastern border is Manning Drive and continues west to 50th Street.
Rexall Place, Edmonton Northlands, the University of Alberta, the downtown area and the Commonwealth Stadium are all accessible via the Clareview LRT station in the south east of the area. The Edmonton Police Service’s North Division services the area and is located in the southern end of the district. The Edmonton Christian School is west of 50th Street—the two closes public schools are Steele Heights Junior High School and an elementary school south of 153rd Avenue.
The Canon Ridge area is located in north east Edmonton. It is located in the Hermitage Area overlooking the Saskatchewan River Valley. The North Saskatchewan River Valley is to be found to the east and the Victoria Trail is to the south. It is also bordered by the Yellowhead Trail to the south and the Kennedale Ravine to the north—this location is named for an Anglican minister who came to the Edmonton area in 1875.
Development in the area began in the 1960’s when 7% of the houses were built. During the 1970’s another 11% were built and over the 1980’s 78% of the current homes were constructed. The area was considered complete by 1991, when the last of the properties were built.
Condominium style apartments with fewer than five stories make up 39% of the area’s housing. Single family homes are at 30% with row houses at 28% of the housing market. The rest of the homes are duplexes—owner occupied homes make up 67% of the area.
Overlanders Elementary School, in the Edmonton Public School System, is the closest School and is located to the west. Abbottsfield Mall is the nearest shopping center and is situated to the south. The Belvedere Station LRT is west of the area—it provides access to Rexall Place, Edmonton Northlands, Commonwealth Stadium and the University of Alberta, as well as the downtown core of Edmonton.
Cassleman was named after a lawyer who practiced in the early 1900’s. In the north east of Edmonton, the northern boundary is 153rd Avenue and the southern is 144th Avenue—the area stretches from 50th Street in the east to 58th Street in the west.
About 10% of the houses in Cassleman were constructed before 1971. The most construction occurred during the 1970’s with 58% of the homes being completed. Between 1981 and 1990, another 23% of the residences were built—the development is considered complete, with the remainder of the homes built after 1991.
Row houses make up 48% of the areas housing. Only 26% are single family homes, and 25% are rented apartments and condominiums—however 66% of these dwellings are owner occupied.
Students attend school in McLeod to the west. There are two schools in the Edmonton Public School District, Steele Heights Junior High and … an elementary school—there is also a Catholic elementary school. Shopping is to the south west at the Londonderry Shopping Mall.
Clareview is located in north east Edmonton. It is a mixed use area spanning from 137th Avenue in the south to 144th Avenue in the north—it is framed by the Canadian National Railways right of way on the west and 36th Street on the east.
During the 1970’s just over 5% of the homes were built—building continued slowly until a boom between 1991 and 2000. There are currently 420 houses in the area.
Rented apartments and condominiums in buildings with fewer than five stories are the most frequent type of home in the area accounting for 74%. Single family homes make up only 13% and duplexes 10%—the remainders of the houses are row houses. Homes occupied by their owners make up 48% of the market.
Londonderry Mall to the west of Clareview along 137th Avenue is the closest shopping center. The area is served by the Edmonton Police Service’s North Division nearby. The Clareview LRT, a park and ride station, serves the area—this provides access to Rexall Place, Commonwealth Stadium, The University of Alberta and the downtown core. The Edmonton Public School System has Bracco Junior High School in this area.
Located in the north east part of the city —the inner city neighbourhood of Cromdale is one of the older areas of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Because of the area’s location, it has very irregular boundaries. The Saskatchewan River Valley is the southern border. The western border is 84th Street. The Canadian National Railway right of way borders the northwest and the Kinnaird Ravine almost divides the neighbourhood in half.
Before the end of World War II only 10% of the homes were completed and another 8% were built between 1946 and 1960. Most of the homes were built in 1960’s and 1970’s when over 66% were finished—the majority of these dwellings are apartments. The rest of the area was developed after 1980.
Apartments and condominiums make up 85% of the houses in the region. The remaining homes are single family dwellings—only 31% of the homes are owner occupied. Over five years only 31% have been at the same address, making the area highly mobile.
Parkdale Square is the closest shopping mall.
Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium is in McCauly to the west and the Stadium LRT station is the nearest transportation station. Parkdale Elementary-Junior High School is part of the Edmonton Public School System, is just to the west and there is one Catholic elementary school in the area. Concordia College is also in the area to the southeast.
In north east Edmonton is the neighbourhood of Delwood. Building began around the end of the second world war and roughly 10% of the construction took place between the year 1946 & 1960. Most of the construction occurred in the 1960’s with over 80% of the houses completed. The rest of the building finished in the 1970’s, and this area is considered finished.
Single family homes comprise 87% of the community. Duplexes make up 8% and low rise apartments of less than 5 stories tall make up 3%—the rest are row style houses. About 85% of the houses are owner occupied.
The neighbourhood runs from 137th Avenue in the north to 132nd Avenue in the south. Traveling along 137th Boulevard, leads to the North Town Mall and the Northgate Center. Another shopping center is nearby, Londonderry Mall is located in Kildare to the north. The western boundary is 82nd Street and the eastern boundary is 66th Street.
Delwood Elementary school (a public school) is in the neighbourhood. St. Vladimir Elementary is also nearby, it’s part of the catholic/separate school stystem. Immediately to the west via 132nd Avenue is Queen Elizabeth High School— and M.E. Lazerte High School is just to the north along 66th Street.
Eaux Claires, meaning “clear waters” in French, is in the north eastern section of Edmonton. The area stretches from 167th Avenue in the north, down to 153rd Avenue in the south. The eastern border is formed by a line between 89th and 90th Streets, while the western border is marked by 97th Street.
The Canadian Forces Bases, Edmonton, is reached easily by heading north on 97th Street. Traveling south on 97th takes you to the core of downtown Edmonton and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.
In Eaux Claires, 55% of the housing market is single family homes—condominiums with less than five stories comprise another 32% and duplexes make up the remainder. Most of the dwellings are owner occupied.
The Edmonton Public School District has two schools nearby, Lorelei Elementary School to the west and Evansdale Elementary School to the south. Wee World Day Care Ltd is also in Lorelei just to the west. Shopping areas include the Namao Center in the northwest corner of the neighbourhood. There are two recreation areas nearby, the Beaumaris Lake area and Beaumaris Park.
Within the area of Dickensfield lies the Evansdale Neighbourhood which is situated in north Edmonton. The Dickensfield area extends from 82nd Street in the east to 87th Street in the west. In the north, 157th Avenue makes the northern border and 144th avenue cuts the district into two sections, Evansdale to the north and Northmount to the south.
Evansdale gets its name from Harry Marshall Erskine Evans. Mr. Evans once served as president of the Edmonton Board of Trade, which is now known as the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce—he was also mayor from 1918 to 1919. The whole of the Dickinsfield area has one school and a complete care facility which is named after Clennell Haggerston Dickins. Dickins was the initial pilot introduced to Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame.
Single family homes make up 54% of Evansdale’s market. The area consists of 24% low rise apartment buildings with fewer than five stories—row houses have 20% of the market.
There are two Catholic Schools servicing the area— Cardinal Leger Catholic Junior High School and Philip Catholic Elementary. The Edmonton Public School System has Evansdale Elementary in the area. Northwood Mall and North Town Mall are available in the southwest.
In north eastern Edmonton, nestled in the Clareview area, is the area of Fraser. It takes its name from John Fraser—he was one of the original trustees of the Belmont School and one of the first homesteader in the area. His name is also used for an elementary school and the community hall in the neighbourhood.
The Victoria Trail makes the western border with 6th street making up the eastern edge. The Saskatchewan River is in the north and 144th Avenue NW is the southern border.
Up to 1970, about 20% of the development was built. During the 1980’s over 62% of the homes were constructed. The area was completed in the 1990’s with the rest of the area being developed. Over 59% are single family homes—apartments in buildings of less than five stories comprise 15% of the area and row houses and duplexes each take 13% of the area. A large number, 77% are owner occupied homes.
Fraser Park is near the Fraser Elementary School, which is part of the Edmonton Public School system—children have free access to Kids are Special Program at Fraser Daycare & Out of School Care, which is in the area. Clareview Village Shopping Centre is just to the south.
In north east Edmonton is the neighbourhood of Glengarry. It stretches from 137th Avenue in the north to 132nd Avenue in the south, and from 82nd Street in the east all the way to 97th in the west.
Housing development in the area began mostly after World War II and was complete by 1985. According the 2001 federal census, about 15.2% of the houses were built between 1946 and 1960. The majority of the development took place during the 1960’s (70.8%)—the remaining 12.6% of the homes were built between 1971 and 1985.
Single family homes comprise over half, 55%, of the residencies in the area. Row houses make up 21% and apartments in both low and high rises, account for another 17%. Duplexes account for only 7% of the area—about 73% of the homes is occupied by the owner. This is a stable area with 63.9% of residents living at the same address for five or more years.
There are two Catholic schools in the area, Archbishop Oleary High School and St Cecilia Junior High School. Glengarry Elementary School is part of the Edmonton Public School System and Fresh Start outreach also serves the area. Just south of Glengarry, in Killarney is the Queen Elizabeth High School. Northgate Center is a major shopping mall in the northwest corner of the neighbourhood—North Town Mall in Northmount is also nearby.
Located in north east Edmonton is the area of Hairsine. The Victoria Trail runs down its eastern edge, and the area spreads west to 36th Street. The northern border is 144th Avenue and the area ends at 137th Avenue.
Most of the development took place during the 1970’s (59%) and 1980’s (39%). Row houses are the most common dwelling; they make up 51% of the area. Single family homes make up only 26% of the neighbourhood and apartments in buildings with less than five floors make up 18%. Duplexes are around 5% of the housing market. Owner occupancy is at 68% creating a very stable neighbourhood with 47% of residents living at the same address for five or more years.
There are two schools in the area— John D Bracco School of the Edmonton Public School District and St Bonaventure Catholic Elementary School. Clareview is the closest LRT station just west of the neighbourhood along 137th Avenue. The nearest mall is Clareview Village Shopping Center.
The name Highlands was the winner of a naming contest in 1912. The prize for the winner was $50. Highlands then became part of Edmonton. The space runs from 118th Avenue in the north to the North Saskatchewan River Valley. The eastern border is 59th Street and extends west to 67th Street.
Being an older neighbourhood, 31% of the homes were built before the end of World War II—another 47% were built between 1946 and 1960. The area was considered complete in 1990 with the remainder of the homes being constructed between 1961 and 1980.
Only 8% of the homes are apartments in buildings with fewer than five stories. The majority, about 90% is single family homes Duplexes make up the remainder of the dwellings—a large percent, 81%, of homes are owner occupied.
The Edmonton Public School system has two schools in the area—they are Highlands Public School and Mount Royal Elementary School. Just to the west of the area are Edmonton Northland, Rexall Place, Concordia College and the Edmonton Commonwealth. Whyte Avenue is to the south along with the University of Alberta. They are accessible by 118th Avenue and Wayne Gretzky Drive.
In north east Edmonton is the Hollick Kenyon Neighbourhood. The name of the area came from Herbert Hollick Kenyon, an aviator. The area runs from 167th Avenue in the north to 153rd Avenue in the south—the eastern border is 50th Street and extends to the western border at 59th Street.
Most of the development in this area occurred after 1990. Over 91% of the homes are single family homes, and the rest are duplexes—a large portion, 91%, of the homes is owner occupied.
A park and a playground are in the process of development in the area under the Hollick Kenyon Park Society. The area is also encouraging the building of a new school. At the moment, the closest school is Edmonton Christian School, just west of 59th Street. Steele Heights Junior High School and an elementary school are both to the south and are part of the Edmonton Public School System—they are just past 153rd Avenue.
Just to the south, the area has access to the Londonderry Athletic Center, and its public swimming pool. Also via 153rd Avenue going to 66th Street, are the Londonderry Mall and the Londonderry Arena.
Homesteader is in the north east area of Edmonton in the Hermitage area. Along the southern border is the Yellowhead Trail and the Kennedale Ravine makes the northern border—Hermitage Road bisects the neighbourhood. Traveling south of Hermitage Road the eastern boundary is ½ block east of 12th Avenue and the area runs all the way to 50th Street in the west. North of Hermitage Road, the western border is Hooke Road and then Homestead Crescent.
Only 12% of these homes were built before 1970. During the 1970’s 62% of the homes were constructed. In the first half of the 1980’s 20% of the existing homes were added—the remainder of the dwellings were built after 1985.
Single family homes are the majority of the area making up 37% of the available housing. Row houses are the next most plentiful at 24% followed by apartments in buildings less than 5 stories at 18%. A good number of the homes 56% are occupied by their owners.
The closest Edmonton LRT access is Belvedere Station—it provides access and transportation to the University of Alberta, Rexall Place, Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton Northlands, and the downtown centre. Edmonton Public School, Overlanders Elementary is the closest school and there is one other Catholic school nearby.
Kernohan, which is part of the Clareview area, is named after a local farmer who ran a grocery store in the 1880-90’s. It is located in north east Edmonton. The area runs from the Victoria Trail is the western boundary and the North Saskatchewan River Valley is to the east. The area stretches from 137th Avenue in the north to the Kennedale Ravine in the south.
Construction began in the 1960’s with the majority, 54% being completed in the 1970’s. The 1980’s saw 10% more development and 27% more in the 1990’s.
Single family homes are the majority in the area with 62% of the market. Row houses make up only 20% and duplexes, 12%. Condominiums with less than five stories account for 5%—nearly 90% of the properties are inhabited by the owner.
The Clareview LRT station is the closest just west of the area accessible through 137th Avenue. Clareview Town Centre is also the closest shopping mall to the northwest. There is one school, Anne Fitzgerald Catholic Elementary School.
Named after the Irish county of Kildare, this area presents a mix of residential and commercial buildings. Located in north east Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the southern border is 137th Avenue and runs up to 144th Avenue—it stretches from 66th Street in the east to 82nd Street in the west.
Almost half of the homes were built in the 1960’s, with the 1970’s increasing 29%, the 1980’s by 17%. The area was considered complete in 1990. Single family homes comprise 47% of the area while row houses make up 34%, most of which are in the northwest corner of the area. Apartment buildings with less than five stories and duplexes make up 9% each of this housing market, and high rise apartments 10%. Most, 68% are owner occupied.
The neighbourhood is home to St. Michael’s Cemetery, which is located in the south west corner. Londonderry Mall is in the southeast corner at 66th Street and 137th Avenue. There is also North Town Mall and Northgate Centre, which can be reached through 137th Avenue West.
There are two Edmonton Public Schools in the area, Kildare Elementary School and Londonderry Junior High School—the Academy for Mathematics and Science is located there as well as Daycare and Out of School Care facilities.
Named after an Irish county, Kilkenny is located in north east Edmonton. It stretches from 153rd Avenue in the north to 144th Avenue in the south. It is bordered on the east by 66th Street and the western edge is 82nd Street.
The area developed mostly in the 1960’s when half of the houses were built. An additional 23% were constructed in the 1970’s. During the 1980’s another 23% were added—the area was considered complete in 1990.
The most common dwelling is the single family home, taking up 60% of the housing market. Low rise apartments with less than five stories comprise 30% of the area and row house cover the rest. Over 62% are owner occupied properties.
In the south of the neighbourhood, on 66th Street, is Londonderry Mall, a major shopping center in the city. The area also contains Northgate Center in the southwest and Northgate Town Centre next door. Kilkenny also provides the area with the Londonderry Athletic Grounds and the Londonderry Fitness and Leisure Centre. There are six area schools—five belong to the Edmonton Public School System and one Catholic school.
Killarney was annexed in 1913 and is located in northeast Edmonton. The northern border of Killarney is 132nd Avenue and the southern border is 127th Avenue. It stretches from 82nd Street in the east to 97th Street in the west.
A bit of growth occurred after the end of the Second World War. However, development did not pick up until the 1950’s. Before 1960 only 36% of the homes were developed, however during the 1960’s 50% were finished—another 20% were completed in the 1970’s.
It is a mixed housing community with 33% being single family homes, duplexes and low rise apartments less than five stories each making up 25% of the market. The remaining percentages belong to row houses. About 60% of the homes are owner occupied and the area is moderately mobile with 41% of residents living at the same address for five or more years.
North Town Mall and North Gate Center are both accessed through 97th Street North. Queen Elizabeth High School and Killarney Junior High School are in the area—both make up the Edmonton Public School System. St. Matthew Catholic elementary school is also located in the area.
Kirkness, in north east Edmonton is named for James Kirkness who came to Edmonton about 1866. He worked at the newly formed Hudson’s Bay Company. The Canadian National Railway right of way marks western boundary which continues to the Victoria Trail in the east. The south border is 144th Avenue and the north reaches 153rd Avenue. Traveling down Manning Drive, in the west of the railway right of way allows access to north eastern Edmonton.
Development began in the 1970’s when about 12% of the homes were built. During the 1980’s however 70% of the housing was constructed. Another 15% followed in the 1990’s and construction finished up after 2000.
Single family homes are the most common housing type making up 55% of the area. Apartments in low rise buildings of less than five stories comprise 28% and less than 10% are duplexes and 8% row houses. Even though 63% of the homes are owner occupied, the population is considered rather mobile with only 43% of the residents living at the same address for five or more years.
In the center of the neighbourhood is Kirkness Park, an open green space. Edmonton Public School District has one school in the area and Kids are Special Daycare & After School private facility. Just to the south east is Clareview Village Shopping Centre.
In the upper reaches of north Edmonton is Klarvatten—the area borders undeveloped land that is within the Edmonton city limits. It is a more affluent area of the city, where the base income is considerably above average.
The southern border is 167th Avenue and the area moves north to a patch of undeveloped land. In the east 82nd Street marks the boundary while to the west is 91st Street ends the area. Several developments are being considered in the area, including Klarvatten Plaza, a proposed business complex.
Development started in the 1980’s. About 25% of the homes were completed during that time. In the 1990’s almost 75% of the construction was completed. Most dwellings are single family homes, 87%—however 11% are row houses and 2% are duplexes. Over 97% of the homes are owner occupied.
One Edmonton Public Elementary School and one Catholic school are in the area. Namao Centre is the closest shopping area to the southwest. Driving down 82nd Street South to 137th Avenue NW, residents can reach North Town center and Northwood Mall in the south west. The Canadian Forces Base in Edmonton is easily accessible.
Lago Lindo or “pretty lake” in Spanish is a fitting name for this area since there are two pretty lakes in the area. North of the area is undeveloped rural land. The southern border is defined by 167th Avenue. The area spreads from 91st Street in the east over to 97th Street in the west.
Most of this development occurred in the 1980’s and consists of single family homes. Most of the homes are owner occupied.
The area provides easy access to the Canadian Forces Bases Edmonton—the downtown core, the Northwoods Mall and North Town Center are all easily accessible. Namao Centre is in the south west adjacent to 167th Avenue.
The community also provides two elementary schools—Lago Lindo Elementary School is part of the Edmonton Public School System and Bishop Greschuk Catholic Elementary School.
Named after Arthur Massey Berry, “Matt”, an aviator—Matt Berry is a recent residential development. It reaches from 153rd Avenue in the south to the 167th Avenue, the northern border. The eastern border is 59th Street A and the area moves west to 66th Street.
Development began after 1985 with 15% of the homes being built between 1986 and 1990. An additional 82% were completed in the 1990’s. Single family homes make up almost 94% of the area. Duplexes provide the rest of the dwellings—owner occupied homes account for over 98% of the properties in the area.
Edmonton Christian School lies within the neighbourhood as does Steele Heights Junior High School, which is part of the Edmonton Public School System. Londonderry Mall by way of 66th Street south is the nearest major shopping mall. The Londonderry Athletic Grounds and the Londonderry Arena are also accessible via 66th Street.
The areas of Mayliewan and Ozerna are set in the north east of Edmonton. The two communities are often referred to as one; however they are legally two distinct areas within City of Edmonton. Mayliewan has a populace of 4,069.
The Mayliewan area begins at 73rd Street and moves west to 82nd Street. The northern border is 167th Avenue and stretches down to 153rd Avenue.
Nearly 97% of the dwellings are single family homes. Of the dwellings in Mayliewan almost all, 97% are owner occupied.
The area has one school, St. John Bosco Catholic Elementary School and nearby shopping at Londonderry Mall.
Located in north east area of Edmonton is the area now known as McLeod. In the vicinity stretches 153rd Avenue in the north to 144th Avenue in the south. The eastern boundary is 58th Street and the western border is 66th Street.
During the 1960’s and 1970’s, 54% percent of the construction occurred. Throughout the 1970’s development slowed to 27%—the rest of the dwellings were constructed in the late 1980’s. Single family homes make up all of the construction. The owner occupancy rate is 97%.
There are four schools in the area. Belonging to the Edmonton Public Schools are McLeod Elementary School as well as Steele Heights Junior High School. J.J. Bowlen Catholic Junior High School and Saint Dominique Catholic Elementary School represent the catholic schools in the area. Just next door in Kilkenny is M.E. Lazerte Composite High School. The Londonderry Athletic Grounds, which have a public swimming pool, the Londonderry Arena, and the Londonderry Mall, are all close by.
North east Edmonton contains the neighbourhood of Miller. It is shaped like a triangle. The Canadian National Railway right of way and Manning Drive creates the southeast border—in the north 153rd Avenue creates the border and reaches 50th Street in the west.
Almost all construction in the area occurred after 1996. Single family homes comprise 64% of the neighbourhood. In this area of duplexes comprise 19% of the housing market. Apartments in buildings with less than five stories make up 12% and rest are row houses—owner occupied properties are at 86%.
At the corner of 59th Street and 142nd Avenue in the southern end of the region are the Edmonton Police Services North Division offices. Steele Junior High School and another elementary school are part of the Edmonton Public School System and are nearby, as well as one Catholic School.
Clareview LRT station in the south east of Miller is close by. From this station citizens can reach the University of Alberta, the Rexall Place, the Commonwealth Stadium, the Edmonton Northlands or downtown.
Montrose is in the north east of the city. The Yellowhead Trail creates the northern border of the area. The south border follows 118th Avenue. The Edmonton Transit System LRT and the Canadian National Railway right of way create the western border, and region stretches to 58th street in the east. Wayne Gretzky drive cuts this neighbourhood in half and provides access to points south of the North Saskatchewan River.
Development started in the area before World War II with over 20% of the houses constructed before 1946. Of almost 45% of the houses were built between 1946 and 1960. The remaining homes were completed in the 1980.
The housing inventory is made up of 78% single family homes. Apartment buildings with less than five stories make up only 16% of the area. Duplexes account for the remaining 6%. Properties inhabited by their owners make up 61% of the market —only 47% of the residents have lived at their address for five or more years making this a mobile area.
The neighbourhood has two schools—the Montrose elementary school belongs to the Edmonton public school system, and the Ben Calf Robe Saint Clair Elementary Junior High School is a Catholic school. The coliseum LRT station is right next to Rexall Place services in the area. In the southwest corner of the neighbourhood, Rexall Place is home to the Edmonton Oil Kings as well as the Edmonton Oilers hockey teams. The Russ Barnes Arena is located there as well.
The neighbourhood of Newton takes its name from the Reverend William Newton. He came to Edmonton in 1875. The north is framed by the Yellowhead Trail creates the northern border. The area extends to the south all the way to 118th Avenue. The neighborhood spans east to west from 50th Street to 58th Street.
Newton began to develop before World War II ended—only 9% of the houses were built before that. Between 1946 and 1960, 46% of properties were constructed. Building continued at a rate of 15% in the 1970’s and another 18% in the 1980’s. Only handfuls were completed in the 1990’s.
Single family homes constitute 88% of the area’s market. Apartments and condominiums with less than five stories make up 7% of the area, the rest of the houses are duplexes. The owner occupancy rate is 79%.
Newton Elementary School, which belongs to the Edmonton Public School System is in the area. One Catholic school, St. Leo Catholic Elementary School is also located in Newton. Just to the western area of the region are the Coliseum LRT Station and the Rexall Place. Shopping is available via 118th Avenue, which leads to Abbottsfield Shoppers Village.
Northmount belongs to the Dickinsfield district, and is situated in north Edmonton. All of Dickinsfield is bounded on the south by 137th Avenue and on the north by 157th Avenue. The eastern border is 82nd Street, and runs west to 97th Street. The district is split by 144th Avenue and the southern end is Northmount.
Northmount consists of about 69% single family homes. Row houses constitute 20% of the area with apartment buildings of fewer than five stories making up the rest. Approximately half of the dwellings are owner occupied.
The whole of the Dickinsfield area has one school and a comprehensive care facility which are named for Clennell Haggerston Dickins, “Punch”. This pilot was the first person inducted to Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame. Northmount Elementary, part of the Edmonton Public School System, is in the area—there is also a Catholic school, St Ann Catholic Elementary School. In the southwest corner are the Northwood and North Town Malls.
Nestled in the hermitage area of north east Edmonton is Overlanders. The eastern edge of Overlanders is marked by the Victoria Trail. The Yellowhead Trail marks the southern border. Acting as a natural border, the Kennedale Ravine runs along the north while 11th avenue creates part of the western boundary. Homestead crescent and Hooke Road continue the border. Hermitage Road meanders through the area.
Construction began in the 1970’s when nearly 38% of the homes were built. Another 38% were built in the 1980’s—only 7% of the homes existed before 1970. The 1990’s saw the remainder of the homes being built.
The area consists mostly of apartments in low rise buildings of less than five stories. Row houses constitute 29% of the neighbourhood. Only 24% of the area is made up of single family homes. Duplexes create the rest of the housing market. This is a highly mobile area. Only 35% up of residents have remained in the area of beacon five or more years—home owners only occupied 32% of the properties in the area.
The Edmonton public school system has one school in the area—it is Overlanders Elementary School. The Edmonton East Division Soccer Centre resides in the area as well.
The areas of Mayliewan and Ozerna are set in the north east of Edmonton. The two communities are often referred to as one; however they are legally two distinct areas within City of Edmonton. The Ozerna side has 4,006 inhabitants.
The Ozerna area begins at 73rd Street and moves east to 66th Street. The northern border is 167th Avenue and stretches down to 153rd Avenue.
Nearly 78% of the dwellings are single family homes, while only 10% are apartment buildings with less than five stories. Duplexes also make up some of the housing at 12%—the properties are 97% owner occupied.
St. John Bosco Catholic Elementary School is nearby in Mayliewan and Londonderry Mall can be reached by traveling south along 66th Street.
With a clear view if the North Saskatchewan River Valley is the area of Rundle Heights. The region is named after a Methodist missionary, Robert Terrell Rundle and is located near Beverly, a historical the coal mining town annexed into Edmonton in 1961.
The Saskatchewan River Valley creates the southern border and the eastern edge of the region. The northern boundary runs along 118th Avenue. Both 34th street and 36th street create the western border. The area is bordered by Abbottsfiled in the north, Beacon Heights in the northwest and Beverly Heights in the west.
Construction began in the 1960’s and was nearly completed the 1960’s and 1970’s —in the 198 0’s the area was considered complete. The Rundle golf course and Rundle Park are both sitting on the site of the old Beverly Dump. Rundle Heights Elementary School is part of the Edmonton public school system. The area also boasts Saint Jerome Catholic Elementary School. Abbottsfield Shopping Village is nearby to the north.
Schonsee is a new area in the northeast of Edmonton. The northern border is undeveloped rural land, belonging to the city of Edmonton— south of the region is the Mayliewan-Ozerna neighbourhood. The McConachie area is to the east with Klavatten neighbourhood to the west.
The area runs north from 167th Avenue all the way the two undeveloped land in the north. The eastern border is marked by 66th Street and extends west to 50th Street.
Condominium and single family homes are planned for the Schonsee area. Currently there are no formal residential statistics for the region.
This rural setting has easy access to the city’s resources. Namao Shopping Centre to the south is the closest—Northgate Center; North Town Mall and Londonderry Mall are all nearby.
There are several Edmonton Public Schools in the bordering areas. Scott Robertson and Lago Lindo Elementary Schools, Killarney Junior High School and the Queen Elizabeth Composite High School are available. There are three Catholic schools accessible as well—Archbishop O’Leary High School, Cardinal Leger Junior High School, and Bishop Greschuk Elementary school are close.
Sifton Park is part of the Clareview area. The Kennedale Ravine creates the southern border. The neighborhood extends north to 137th Avenue. The eastern edge of the area is defined by 40th Street and moves west to 50th Street.
A large portion of the development, 79% was completed in the 1970’s. Only 8% of the dwellings were built in the 1960’s—another 10% were constructed during the 1980’s. The area was considered complete in 1990.
Apartment buildings with less than five stories make up almost 47% of homes in the area. Single family homes account for only 32% and row houses 10%. Duplexes comprise only 9%, while 3% of the homes are considered in the “other” category. Rental Properties make up 59% of the homes.
Sifton Elementary School, which is part of the Edmonton Public School System, serves the area. Just north of Sifton, in Clareview Campus in the Clareview LRT station. Shopping is available at Clareview Shopping Centre.
Virginia Park is placed in the northeast part of the city. The Saskatchewan River creates the southern border of the area and reaches to Northlands Park in the north. Wayne Gretzky Drive makes the eastern boundary. The western boundary travels south along Borden Park on 78th Street, then turns east following 112th Avenue. The border then heads south following 76th Street until reaching the river valley.
The area was set side before World War I but was not developed up until after World War II, when the 75% of the houses were constructed. Most of the buildings are apartment buildings with less than five stories. Single family homes make up the rest of the market—about 50% of the properties of owner occupied.
Concordia University College resides in this area. The Edmonton Public School System has two schools in the area—they are Virginia Park Elementary School and Concordia High School. There are two golf courses to the south— Riverside and Highlands. Rexall Place is accessible along Wayne Gretzky Drive.
York, in the north east of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is located west of the Clareview district. The area moves from 144th Avenue in the north to Manning Drive, which circles around the south east. The eastern boundary is marked by 50th Street and heads west to 66th Street.
The 1960’s and 197 0’s saw 80% of the homes constructed. York contains Edmonton’s first condominium. More than 70% of the houses in the area are owner occupied. The area has a lower average income than most of Edmonton.
Edmonton Police Service’s North Division offices are just outside the neighbourhood to the east. Londonderry Mall, is also close to the south west in Kildare. The Clareview LRT station is just east of York is which provides access to Edmonton’s downtown, Commonwealth Stadium, Rexall Place and the University of Alberta.
There are three schools within York—one is a Catholic elementary school and the J.J. Bowlen Catholic Junior High School. There is also one Edmonton Public School System elementary school there.